Now a day’s Webpage holders are dying to make their contents SEO friendly as the number of contestants growing more and it became more challenging to be popular to the visitors. The way how search engines understand contents and its limitedness in web-crawling added more difficulties in this battle because Webpages never seem to be similar to go looking search engines and humans alike. So, the best way to win this battle is to make contents accessible and SEO friendly that will help to link this space optimizing for both humans and search engines the same. This article will help you to understand the basics of how to make your contents accessible and SEO friendly and the way it takes place. Here are some important guidelines you may consider:
1. Making Contents in HTML Format: Your key contents need to be in HTML (hypertext mark-up language) text format because most of the cases images, flash files, java applets and alternative non-text contents are typically overlooked by search engines even if it is in web-crawling technology. If it is in HTML text format, your chance to be listed within the search engines will increase a lot more. Put the words and phrases in the HTML text format you like to display for the visitors. This will make them sure visible to search engines. There are more options available for those visual styles but HTML provides search engines a text description of the visual content.
2. Considering Like a Search Engine: Most of the time websites faces problems with indexable contents. In this case double-checking is helpful to see what essentials of your content are visible and indexable to the search engines. Some SEO lools like Google’s cache, SEO-browser.com, can help you to do that effectively. Search engines need to find contents so that it can enlist pages in their huge keyword based indexes. Similarly it also needs to identify links to find a specific content. Many websites have mistaken in structuring (crawlable link structure) their routing in such a way that search engines cannot access and as a result their capacity to enlist pages in the search engines’ indexes becomes poor. A crawlable link structure is a structure that lets their spiders surf the pathways of a website to identify all of the pages on a website.
3. Giving Compulsory Forms: Some website holders ask their users to complete an online form before accessing certain content. If you do so, there are chances that search engines could never notice those confined pages. Besides a password protected login or a full-blown survey can be included to forms. Search spiders usually do not try to submit forms for both the cases and therefore any content or links which is accessible via a form could be undetectable to the engines.
5. Links indicating to pages that are blocked by the Meta robots tag and robots.txt: Both the Meta Robots tag and the Robots.txt file helps restricting spider access by the Website holders to specific a page. Remember that several webmasters have accidentally used these directives to block access by rogue bots, only to determine that search engines close down their crawl.
6. Frames: If you don’t have better technical knowledge on how search engines index and follow link in frames, my suggestion is to stay away from both Frames and I-Frames. Though links in both frames and I-Frames are technically crawlable, but in terms of organization and following, they present structural issues for the engines.
7. Search Forms: A few webmasters think that engines can find the all the things visitors search for if they set a search box on their site. Sorry to say that spiders don’t execute searches to find content, and that is why, huge amount of pages become hidden and unreachable, until a spidered page links to it.
8. Links on pages containing a lot of links: Pages containing hundreds or more links could be at risk of not getting crawled and indexed all of them. Search engines not crawl unlimited amount instead so many links on a given page. This limit is necessary to keep rankings. Links can have lots them, Search engines ignore almost all the attributes applied to links.
9. “nofollowed” Links are not Bad: nofollow links are a natural part of a different link profile. A website with lots of internal links will gather many nofollowed links, and this is really not a bad thing. Typically high-ranking sites contain more inbound nofollowed links than lower ranking sites.
10. Keyword: Search engines relied on keyword practice as a most important relevancy signal in the early days in spite of how the keywords were actually used. But today they have come closure to the right track. So, use your keywords logically and naturally.
11. On-Page Optimization: On page optimization is one of the most vital parts of getting search engines’ ranking. Here are some recommendation that you can consider for your own sites:
- Use the keyword in the title tag no less than once and if possible aim to keep it near to the beginning part of the title tag.
- Use the keyword at the top of the page once.
- At least 2-3 times or a few more in the body copy on the page including variations.
- Minimum one time in the alt attribute of an image on the page
- Once in the URL.
- At least once in the meta description tag.
- In search results no more than the first 65-75 characters of a title tag are shown by the Search engines. If you use more, it shows a short form – “…”.So stick to this limit.
- Set significant keywords close to the frontage.
- Title tags must be narrative and understandable.
12. Using Meta Tags: Meta tags provide an alternative for information about a website’s content. Some of the basic meta tags are given below:
- The Meta Robots tag is used to manage search engine spider activity on a page rank. The Meta Robots tag can be used in several ways to manage how search engine will narrate a page like index/noindex, follow/nofollow, noarchive, nosnippet, noodp/noydir, etc. You also can use The X-Robots-Tag HTTP header directive for the same purpose.
- The Meta description tag appears as a content short description of a page. The Meta description tag is the most important source for the fragment of text visible under a listing in the results. It serves the function of search marketing.
- The Meta keywords tag is not as important as Meta Robot tag or Meta description tag and had value at one time.
- Meta refresh tag, Meta revisit-after tag, Meta content type tag are less important for search engine optimization.
13. URL: Make your URL informative so that a user can accurately guess about the subject of the content. On the other hand, your URL should be easy to copy and paste into text messages, blog post, emails, etc. Shorter is better to be visible in the search results. Use hyphens to separate words instead of using underscore “_,” plus “+,” or space.
14. Be aware of Scrapers: Recently, the web is filled with lots of dishonest website holders and they basically steal other’s contents by copy and paste with little bit modifications and re-use them on their own sites. This process is scraping. Be aware of them and if possible use the scrapers’ laziness against them.
Making accessible and SEO friendly text is not an easy task and also not a rocket science. You just need a lot of practice and spending time on it. The more time you spend the more you learn. Start the journey today and I wish this article will make you one step ahead. Best wishes for the journey.